1. The Cutting Edge of Haptics
- New technologies are being invented in order to trick to the human mind that a completely flat surface actually has a variety of textures.
- If technology can influence what we touch, how do we know what we are touching is really what we are touching?
2. Touch Illusions
- There are a variety of different ways to fool the sense of touch; whether is it done by crossing some fingers or plunging one’s hands into water, the mind is able to alter what we feel.
- To what extent is touch a physical sense or a matter of the mind?
3. 10 Psychological Effects of a Nonsexual Touch
- Here we see that strategic touching can alter the person being touched’s mind; hence, touch can be used as not only a sensory tool but a tool for convincing others as well.
- To what extent are we unconsciously influenced by touch?
4. Kissing Device Lets You Send a Long-Distance Smooch
- Basically, there is a device that allows one to transmit a kiss online to a partner far away.
- With developing technology, to what extent to humans need the company of other humans?
5. A Touch of Understanding; Gene Tweak Opens Sensory Black Box
- Scientists openly acknowledge the complexity of the sense “touch.”
- How do new advances in research show the extent to which humans crave knowledge?
6. Dating With Science
- According to science, a simple touch is sometimes all one needs to make someone more attracted to them.
- How much of a relationship is based upon unconscious touch?
1. The Cocktail Party Effect
- As humans, we are very good at filtering what we hear; however, sometimes this can lead to missing what we were filtering out consciously or unconsciously.
- To what extent is what we hear dependent upon what we want to hear?
2. How Does Sound Affect Creativity
- The volume of sound we are surrounded by can influence our creativity and productivity both positively and negatively.
- How can we use knowledge to increase productivity?
3. The Sound of Taste
- Researchers have found that the sounds we experience while eating has a large effect on the experience of the food.
- To what extent are our sense interconnected?
4. “The Medium is the Massage”: A Kitchen Sink of Sound
- The sounds used in movies can have a great effect upon the audience; skilled directors use sound to make the audience feel… feelings.
- To what extent is a movie in the pictures or the sound?
5. Beethoven’s Deafness Influences His Music
- Beethoven’s deafness may have helped him compose his various pieces; based on what he could hear when his pieces were played, he chose to compose his songs in different tones.
- How are we influenced consciously or unconsciously by sound?
6. World’s Largest Natural Sound Archive
- In this vast world exists an archive of thousands of sounds; nature’s instrument?
- To what extent does technology help us organize and sustain information?