1. The Cutting Edge of Haptics
- New technologies are being invented in order to trick to the human mind that a completely flat surface actually has a variety of textures.
- If technology can influence what we touch, how do we know what we are touching is really what we are touching?
2. Touch Illusions
- There are a variety of different ways to fool the sense of touch; whether is it done by crossing some fingers or plunging one’s hands into water, the mind is able to alter what we feel.
- To what extent is touch a physical sense or a matter of the mind?
3. 10 Psychological Effects of a Nonsexual Touch
- Here we see that strategic touching can alter the person being touched’s mind; hence, touch can be used as not only a sensory tool but a tool for convincing others as well.
- To what extent are we unconsciously influenced by touch?
4. Kissing Device Lets You Send a Long-Distance Smooch
- Basically, there is a device that allows one to transmit a kiss online to a partner far away.
- With developing technology, to what extent to humans need the company of other humans?
5. A Touch of Understanding; Gene Tweak Opens Sensory Black Box
- Scientists openly acknowledge the complexity of the sense “touch.”
- How do new advances in research show the extent to which humans crave knowledge?
6. Dating With Science
- According to science, a simple touch is sometimes all one needs to make someone more attracted to them.
- How much of a relationship is based upon unconscious touch?
1. The Cocktail Party Effect
- As humans, we are very good at filtering what we hear; however, sometimes this can lead to missing what we were filtering out consciously or unconsciously.
- To what extent is what we hear dependent upon what we want to hear?
2. How Does Sound Affect Creativity
- The volume of sound we are surrounded by can influence our creativity and productivity both positively and negatively.
- How can we use knowledge to increase productivity?
3. The Sound of Taste
- Researchers have found that the sounds we experience while eating has a large effect on the experience of the food.
- To what extent are our sense interconnected?
4. “The Medium is the Massage”: A Kitchen Sink of Sound
- The sounds used in movies can have a great effect upon the audience; skilled directors use sound to make the audience feel… feelings.
- To what extent is a movie in the pictures or the sound?
5. Beethoven’s Deafness Influences His Music
- Beethoven’s deafness may have helped him compose his various pieces; based on what he could hear when his pieces were played, he chose to compose his songs in different tones.
- How are we influenced consciously or unconsciously by sound?
6. World’s Largest Natural Sound Archive
- In this vast world exists an archive of thousands of sounds; nature’s instrument?
- To what extent does technology help us organize and sustain information?
Does language affect color? We shall see…
So the goal of this project was to see if language affects color perception. In order to test this, I asked various students at LJA who speak a language other than English to read a list of words in their other language and to tell me the first color that pops into their head after reading it. I wanted to see if language changes the way people have various connotations about words.
It was interesting to see so many overlaps of colors, for 3 out of 5 words had at least two people saying the same color. However, that also means a vast majority of the people had different connotations of the word. Thus, it could be followed that perhaps language does influence how a person views a word.
Check out “Flagrant Flash Back” on @dipity. http://www.dipity.com/Kaseyt/Flagrant-Flash-Back/?s=t